Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Here I go again...

I HATE the news.

I don’t watch it anymore, and I am officially banned from getting the newspaper home delivered. All because I get so worked up over everything…

And is it any wonder? The news totally blows every stupid little thing out of proportion.

Take the rain…

We got our first rain here in the Bay Area, and it was pretty good too…even cats and dogs at times…but the news…THE NEWS… dubbed it “The Biggest Storm Since 1956!” Which made no sense to me, because I have been here for many floods and tragedies because of the rain, and it totally boggled my mind that the biggest storm since before I was born was coming…until I found out it was really the biggest storm since 1956 to take place on October 14th. What ever!

My husband sells bakery ingredients and supplies. His territory is everything north of the Golden Gate, and he has just convinced his company to let him expand his area all the way up to Eureka California, which is a good 4 hours north of us. (Hello, our family of 6 might finally get out of this 3 bedroom house next year!) Since they have given their final Okay, my husband was planning his first trip up to Eureka yesterday…the day of the fargen tsunami…if you listened to the news…which I did…and I am sooooo angry about it I could, I don’t know, spit!

"The NEWS" said it was the remnants of a typhoon and showed city after city sandbagging and crying that they would close their businesses just in case. They warned of flooding and predicted a dangerous commute. The way they told it, one would think they’d be driving to work through a sea of banged up cars and dead bodies, drowned from sinkholes and flooding embankments. (Sorry, that was graphic, but it’s their picture, not mine.)

And I fell for it, hook line and sinker. My husband had to go to bed early because he was getting up at 3:30 for his long trip. So, I did what any good wife would do, I woke him up and begged him not to go. There is oil on the streets from the first rain,” I said. “This is the remnants of a TYPHOON!!,” I said. The news said the storm is BULLSEYEING the bay area AND Eureka!” I said.

And he said, “No worries, I’ll drive carefully.” And he rolled over and went to sleep.

Oh, I was SO angry…I went to sleep on the couch. I slept there for an hour and woke up realizing, if he got hurt tomorrow, I would feel awful not sleeping next to him. So I went and dug out his winter jacket and ALMOST wrote a note saying, “If you’re going to be an idiot, and go out in this storm anyway…at least wear a jacket.” But I didn’t, again, just in case he got hurt.

So he left. And it was a typical rainy day. And it cleared up, and even was sunny in Eureka, and he came home alive.

So what does this all have to do with diabetes. Why must I vent on my diabetes support network?

Well, nothing really and I’m not sure…

EXCEPT! This "NEWS" caused me a lot of unnecessary stress. And seriously people, do I or any of you need more stress in our lives? Seriously.

"The News" is dead to me. And I officially declare that I don’t give a hoot about the swine flu anymore...

There news…TAKE THAT!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH MERI!! You are SOOOOOOOO funny!!! You sound just like me! I am so totally and completely NOT allowed to watch the news.....I really shouldnt even be allowed on the internet considering I read WAY too much into every single article I find!!

    Stress related news....I hear ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay now while I pick myself up off the floor from laughing so hard . I would have felt the same way my dear . Everything will be fine I m sure just wait it out . I did not realize you live in the bay area of california . that must be awesome . Oh well just love you for posting and sharing this .

    ReplyDelete
  3. BRAVO!!!!!!! This totally gave me the lift I've been looking for :)

    God bless you, Meri!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments=Love
Moderation now enabled, so comments will not immediately be seen.